Monday, December 3, 2012

Staying Focused

Well it is the Holiday season (Christmas, New Years, parties, family get-togethers, gift buying/wrapping) all around busyness!  So I wanted to just share a few things I try to do on a regular basis to keep things in perspective, and remember why I am really here, to glorify Jesus.  I was inspired by Holly Furtick's post: How to stay focused on Jesus during Christmas to write my own tips.

A few things I like to do to stay focused on the one who I live for is:

Spend time with Jesus.  I encourage you take a few moments to be alone with God, even if it is retreating to your laundry room (Holly!)for only five minutes.  Everybody's quiet time looks different, some people just talk to Him, others read the word, some sing praise songs, even just being still and letting his peace and love wash over you, these things can change your whole day!  However much time you have, from 5 minutes to two hours take that time to refocus daily on God the creator of the world, the one who desperately wants to be a real part of your life and can't wait to just walk with you and help you.  There nothing else like being in presence of God.  "You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever." Ps 16:11

Read and say the Word.  The word, the word, the word, I just can't tell you enough about the importance and life changing capabilities of the bible.  Talk about "our daily bread", I think I would starve if I didn't go a day without reading at least 1 verse.  But I wasn't always that way.  The more I seek Him, the more I find Him and the more I find Him, the more I want to read about Him.  Jesus told the devil in the desert "But Jesus told him, "No! The Scriptures say, 'People do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.' Matthew 4:4  It is true, to keep our physical body healthy we have to nourish it, and it is the same for our spiritual body, the word is what feeds our spirit.  The bible is what I stand on, and if I don't know it, what I teaches, learn constantly, I am not going to be standing,.  I would be sinking, doubting, and unsure what to do in trials, persecution and if a teaching I hear lines up with the word.  Saying the word is powerful, check out my post on the Power of Meditating (actually it means speaking in Hebrew) on the word of God.  I encourage you if it is only one verse, read it, say it.  The Holy Bible app gives you a verse of the day, that is a great place to start. 

Pray."Never stop praying." 1 Thess 5:17 Praying is an incredible gift God has given us.  To be able to talk before the throne of the almighty God any time we come, and are welcomed, even ushered into His presence is unfathomable to me.  How amazing, to know he hears me when I call, cry and seek Him.  His throne of grace is always open for us to come and be restored.  It doesn't have to be this hour long prayer, but it could be.  For me sometimes it is a quick "Lord I need your wisdom, I need your peace, I need your help."  Sometimes I truly empty my heart, I cry and what relief and purging that happens as you are just honest before God.  And He always shows up, it just takes a minute to come to Him and He is waiting.  But sometimes you are just at a loss for words, when you want to pray but your not exactly sure what to say.  The Holy Spirit knows, ask him to help you and to intercede for you in your weakness (see Romans 8:26), and if you have the gift of praying in tongues - be sure to exercise it and pray in the Spirit regularly.  Paul said he did both, prayed with his words and let the Spirit speak through him. "For if I pray in tongues, my spirit is praying, but I don't understand what I am saying.  Well then, what shall I do? I will pray in the spirit, and I will also pray in words I understand. I will sing in the spirit, and I will also sing in words I understand." 1 Corinthians 14:14-15. Prayer is a powerful thing, I hope it will be something you can spend time doing each day.

Sing Praise Songs.  Oh do I love my praise music!!  I wake up and Pandora is on, my husband will tell you I love my songs.  Emma (my 2 year old) is following right in suite, she sings all the time.  I can be in the grumpiest mood and all I do is start singing worship music, like Hillsong, and I am lifted out of the battle into a place of peace.  Did you know the truth that giving thanks and praise to God, silences the enemy, what a powerful tool.  "From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise because of your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger." Psalm 8:2. Praising Jesus and giving him all the glory is what we are created to do.  If you are feeling down, flip the worship music on, be sure to sing the truth and watch your day change!

Listen to Sermons.  I also love my sermons!! How blessed are we that we can listen to the best preachers from all over the world any time we want?!   AMAZING!!!  I try to listen to several during the week between church, it so good to be encouraged and challenged on a daily basis.  You can DVR them or listen online.  Some Pastors and Speakers I encourage you to listen to are: Joseph Prince, Steven Furtick (both spoke at the Hillsong conference this year), Christine Caine, Paul White, Beth Moore, Joyce Meyer.

Attend a Bible Study.  I can not tell you enough how important being in a group bible study is.  When I moved into Michigan 9 years ago, I got involved in my first women's bible study.  It truly changed my walk with God.  Having a group of people to spur me on, pray for me, dig deeper into the word is truly a blessing.  A lot of churches offer weekly classes and/or in home study groups.  It is a great place to fellowship, ask those questions and discuss topics that you can't during a sermon, and pray as a group.  Praying with friends & family will change your life, encourage you and bring you into a deeper place with them.  "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds."  Hebrews 10:24 

Become a part of a good Church.  And lastly, find a church that preaches, believes and stands on the word, and glorifies Jesus!!  Ask the Holy Spirit of God to lead you to the right one.  And if you are in the right one, connect!  Join a study group, volunteer in the nursery, make meals for new moms, visit the sick, work in the youth, greet, there is always a need.  There is no substitute to getting together with the body of Christ, worshiping corporately and lifting up a voice of praise in unity- powerful!!  Being encouraged and taught by the pastor, it is so key to my life. Sometimes the word can be hard to understand, I just love sitting and listening to the Pastor truly explain the word, "They read from the Book of the Law of God and clearly explained the meaning of what was being read, helping the people understand each passage." Nehemiah 8:8  I hope you can find time to be a part of a local church.  They are ready to support and love on you, and honestly they need you and who doesn't want to be loved on, supported and needed?!

Well there is my tips for staying focused on what truly matters.  This is what I do in my personal life, and I hope it will inspire you in your walk with God.  He is AWESOME, my desire for you is that you give Him the chance to truly show you who He is.

Linking up to:



3 comments:

  1. Wonderful advice! Such great ways to grow, be encouraged, stay close to God throughout the day and throughout the year! Another excellent pastor I love to listen to is Pastor Joe Focht of Calvary Chapel Philadelphia. You can download his verse by verse Bible studies from their site, www.ccphilly.org or use their grand app. My multigenerational caregiving has been increasing this year but I can generally keep up on my daily Bible time in the car using my iPod and his sermons. I've made it through to Chronicles this year and it's been such a sweet encouragement - and I've learned so many intriguing new things. Thanks for a lovely visit. Have a blessed Word-Filled Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all great tips for staying in the Word and to keep the reason for the season at the forefront of all our activities! Thanks so much for linking up this week! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amber
    Nice meeting you at Mindy's. I have found that the only way I ever am able to stay focused on our Lord Jesus is to live in Him moment by moment...every day. Yes, and singing praise songs, making a joyful melody in my heart for our Pappa God is such a winner!
    Hugs XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment