Monday, March 26, 2012

Let's go on a walk....


What does walking with God look like?  What does it look like for you?  I was doing a study on the fruit of the Spirit this summer and one person REALLY stuck out to me when we studied the word "faithfulness".  It was Enoch.  He is listed in the Hebrews "Hall of Faith" in chapter 11.   "By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death; he could not be found, because God had taken him away. For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God." Hebrews 11:5


Ok, Enoch obviously had a good relationship with God, I want to look at what he did.  What else does the word say about him?  "When Enoch had lived 65 years, he became the father of Methuselah.  And after he became the father of Methuselah, Enoch walked with God 300 years and had other sons and daughters.  Altogether, Enoch lived 365 years.   Enoch walked with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.  Genesis 5:21-24.  After reading that, I kinda thought, "That is it?  That seems simple..." Enoch walked with God.  He lived before the bible was written, so what did walking with God look like for him?  An interesting thought to ponder.  

When a parent and child are on a walk, the young person always has LOTS of questions for the adult.  They are in constant conversation.  Sometimes the kid gets tired and the parent picks them up and carries them through the "rough parts". The child relies fully on the parent to keep them safe and guide them carefully.  Both people are include in everything that is going on.  Ideally they are free from distractions and they can just spend time together, talking about everything.  The child takes what the parent says by faith, their words are true, and they trust them with their lives.


I want to walk like that with God.  I want to let Him pick me up and carry me when I feel too weak to continue.  I want to ask my daddy about EVERYTHING,  "Should I watch this show?" or "What do YOU want me to say right now, because I don't want to mess up?!"   When I don't hear an answer right away I want to go to His word, the bible and see what He says about my situation.  I want to go to trusted friends and family that walk with God for advice, I want  pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests (Eph 6:18).  I want to trust that He is leading me safely and commune with Him so much that I know his voice.   "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me." John 10:27 "and his sheep follow him because they know his voice." John 10:4b

This is what walking with God looks like to me: including Him in every aspect of my life. Seeking his guidance with all my heart and soul in all decisions, because I really do want to know what he thinks about everything.


"But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul." Deuteronomy 4:29


Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known. Jeremiah 33:3



Who are those who fear the LORD? He will show them the path they should choose.Psalm 25:12

I want to walk with the living God, I want to ask and trust, I want to let Him lead, I want Him pick me up, I want to listen to Him teach and show me the way to take.  So, let's go on a walk......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment