Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Delicious Tomato Pie


This recipe could arguably be my most favorite side dish.  I LOVE tomatoes, and I saw Paula Deen put this scrumptious dish together about 6 years ago.  Tomatoes, fresh basil, green onions, how could you go wrong?  I made it for the first time for Mother's Day 2005, it was also my first time buying a live basil plant (I know grow it in my garden every year).  We got married in 2005, so this was one of the first of many dishes from scratch I began making a part of our family meals.  I cook/ bake most of my stuff from scratch, so I know exactly what is going in it.  Normally I make my own crust, but I haven't found a good gluten-free recipe, so I did buy a pre-made gluten-free crust from Whole Foods.  The crust was great!  In the past I used regular mayonnaise, but this time I used "Vegenaise" (find more info in my post:http://seasontheday.blogspot.com/2011/03/quick-slaw-from-scratch.html)  and everyone thought it was amazing, so we couldn't tell the difference.  I encourage you to try this, you won't be disappointed!!  

Ingredients: 
  • 4 large tomatoes sliced
  • 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onion
  • 1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell
  • 1 cup grated mozzarella
  • 1 cup grated cheddar
  • ( I actually used 2 cups shredded cheese mix Mozzarella, Cheddar & Monterey jack)
  • 1 cup mayonnaise, "vegenaise" brand is what I used
  • Salt and pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes.
Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pie shell. Season with salt and pepper. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
To serve, cut into slices and serve warm.  Enjoy!  It is AWESOME!!!!



1 comment:

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment