Thursday, March 24, 2011

Quick Slaw from Scratch

Last week I made a Thai dish that I used red cabbage in.  I was left with 1/2 a head of cabbage, so I worked it into my meals for this week.  I used 1/2 of the remaining cabbage to make slaw tonight, and plan to use the rest of it in my Filipino meal. The flavor of the raw red cabbage was surprisingly good, mild and sweet. I have been making homemade slaw for a while now, that way I control the oils that go in.  I only use Vegenaise brand Mayo, because it is made with grapeseed oil and it doesn't taste weird- LOL (If you've tried "health" mayo, you know what I mean).  Anyways this slaw is simple and is made with ingredients that are usually on hand, and I hope you will give it a try.  Pairs good with fried fish & chicken, burgers, sloppy joes & hot dogs.

Ingredients:
1/4 of head of red cabbage, shredded
1 large carrot, peeled & shredded ( I actually just used the peeler to make strips)
1/2 cup of good mayo
1 Tablespoon vinegar of choice
2 teaspoons agave nectar, or sweetener of choice
                                                      Sprinkle of salt.

Toss cabbage and carrots together in a large bowl.  Mix the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl, pour over cabbage & carrots, stir to mix.  Done!  Really easy, really good.  I finished off the bowl tonight it was sooo good!!  It serves 2-3 people, probably would work for a family of 4 if each person had a single serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment