Monday, December 2, 2013

A Good Christmas Read for Kids


I just finished reading to Drew (and a little bit to Emma) "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" tonight.  I got the idea from Holly Furtick's blog post last Christmas.  It's a short, heartfelt read that I think everyone should read to their kids.  I was in tears by the end and Drew was looking at me like "Mom, what's wrong with you?!"  Ok yes I am pregnant, but really it's very touching.

I started reading chapter books to my son around age 4.  We started with Charlotte's Web, then did the Ralph & the Motorcycle series.  I read a few chapter books a year to him, and I've noticed it's a nice way to calm him down in the evenings & a good replacement for TV.  In the summer I love to head out doors after lunch, spread out a blanket and read books in the warm sun, such great memories.  This past summer we started into the Boxcar Children series, they are fun!

Anyways, if you are looking for a good, short, thought provoking & discussion book about the real meaning of Christmas, I highly recommend this.  I would say for 5 years old & up, but certainly youngers could listen, but wouldn't "get" nearly as much.  Drew asked lots of questions & I did modify some words (not curse words or anything, just phrases we don't use.)

What other Christmas chapter books do you recommend for young children?  I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment