Friday, March 15, 2013

The Waiting Game




Right now, in this moment of my life, I feel like I am waiting on almost everything.  Ever been there?  Sometimes when you are waiting for God's plan to unfold it is easy to get impatient, overwhelmed and discontent.  When you start looking at what isn't happening, it is easy to "check out" and miss everything that IS HAPPENING!  This week I found myself going before the Lord constantly with all that was on my heart, that is one of the good things about feeling overwhelmed, you spend lots of time before the throne.  But on Wednesday I came across this verse:

Be still in the presence of the LORD, and wait patiently for him to act.  Psalm 37:7a NLT

I was definitely NOT being still or patient!  It is hard to rest and just trust that God has it under control, but that is exactly what we are supposed to do, because He has got this.  He has got your situation, He has got your kids, He has got your house, job, finances, marriage, baby, friends, ministry, health, ect.... He is God Almighty, and He is crazy about you and wants to take care of you.  The Lord doesn't want us to be stressed out and constantly trying to figure out how we can take care of ourselves, that is His job.  We are the sheep, He is the shepherd.  The shepherd watches out for the sheep, protects them, feeds them, cares for them, the sheep don't fend for themselves or find their own green grass, they are completely reliant on the shepherd to do that.  The word says:
The Lord is my shepherd;
    I have all that I need.
He lets me rest in green meadows;
    he leads me beside peaceful streams.
He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
    bringing honor to his name.
Psalm 23:1-3 NLT

God wants us to seek his guidance and follow His Spirit in all things, and when there are unknowns to trust that He will make a way, even when it seems hopeless.  I mean look at the Israelites at the Red Sea...it seemed hopeless, until God made a way through the sea, that is our God.  He commands the winds.  Invite Jesus into your hopeless situation and trust that He can move mountains and then patiently wait for Him to move.

God likes to help us and come to our rescue.  Remember the Shepherd who left the 99 to rescue the one that was lost, He delighted to pick him up and bring that little sheep back, He wasn't annoyed, He rejoiced! (Matt 18:12)  Jesus delights in being our savior daily.  God also loves it when we have faith and ask Him for big things and help to accomplish them.  Let's choose to believe even though we may be waiting and can't see a solution, that our God can do the impossible.  If God has spoken a promise to you it will come to pass, all we need to do is just rest and have faith in what He will do.  Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see. Hebrew 11:1 NLT  Faith is believing before you see.

These verses from Habakkuk encouraged me this week, even though I don't see the fruit yet, I will still praise my God.  He is faithful and worthy of praise and He will cause us to walk on TOP of the situation that seems to be overwhelming us right now, because the LORD is our strength.

Even though the fig trees have no blossoms,
    and there are no grapes on the vines;
even though the olive crop fails,
    and the fields lie empty and barren;
even though the flocks die in the fields,
    and the cattle barns are empty,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord!
    I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!
 The Sovereign Lord is my strength!
    He makes me as surefooted as a deer,[e]
    able to tread upon the heights. Habakkuk 3:17-19

So if you are waiting right now, I want to encourage you, you are not alone, and while we wait together, we can be still, we can have faith, we can trust God, we can worship Him, we can be content, and we can rest because we know the Lords character.  He will never leave us, He works everything for our good and His promises are Yes and Amen in Christ.  (Deut 31:6, Rom 8:28, 2 Cor 1:20) In returning and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and in trust shall be your strength. Isaiah 30:15b  While we wait, let's throw off worry and instead let's REST & TRUST in our mighty God.  This song ministered to me this week, now sing your heart out: