Friday, March 8, 2013

Just Be You



I heard a few quotes recently that have stuck with me, and have inspired this post.  In the world we live in competition and comparison are a real part of life.  In the blogging arena and in life in general it is easy to find a "look" or "style" we like and try to emulate that.  I think it is great idea to look to others who you admire and be inspired to make changes.  Gleaning from other people who are successful and have fresh concepts is a smart move, but we gotta be careful we aren't trying so hard to get someone else's look, talk, style that we are losing our own.  We aren't designed to be like other people, to be robots that all look and act similar.  We are, each of us exclusive, designed by God with a purpose, created unique.

My friend told me this last week  "Just being yourself is one of the greatest threats against the devil."  I was really freed up when I heard that.  I don't have to sound like other people, I don't have to do what other people have done, I don't have to change things about myself to please others, I just need to be myself!

Just being you is actually an effortless form of spiritual warfare.  How can this be?  Because there is only one you.  God only made one person like yourself, with your traits, passions, talents, lingo, style, interests.  You are an individual, and when you are truly yourself, the person God has specifically created you to be, regardless of what people think, that is bad news for the devil.  It is bad news for him, because you are free from people pleasing, from having to change personalities when you go around different groups of people.  If you live to please others you are a slave to the next person you go around.  If you live to please God, you are set free to be who HE created you to be.

For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Eph 2:10

God created you with a specific purpose, that can only be discovered once you put Him in the proper place. God's opinion is the only one that matters, and when you truly believe that, it is a gloriously free place, you don't have to pretend any more, you can just be who he created you to be a new creation in Christ, a life of freedom, joy & peace.  So whether in blogging, parenting, talking, acting, JUST BE YOU, not someone else, God made you that way for a reason, embrace it and live life FREE!  Now that is what I'm talkin' bout!

Linking up to Motivation Monday @ Grace Everyday