Wednesday, August 22, 2012

While We Wait

Ever had to just wait? Right now we are in a period of waiting.  For us the current wait is where we are going to be living next?  During the move I found myself a few times saying "What did we just do?!" But each time I was reminded that I trust and listen to the King of Kings...and his plan for me is always good, and I will wait for him to reveal his plan and not worry!

As we wait for God's plan to unfold it is very easy to fall into the trap of not being content.  To say things like "It will be better when...." or to complain, to wish things were different, to ask "God why haven't you......?" We wait on a lot of things, a new job, a new house, people to say thank you, kids to make good decisions, more money

I have been hearing of families, reading stories, and listening to sermons on waiting on God recently.  I am learning so much.  I just listened to a great message by Holly Furtick where she relates a story of Paul and Silas "waiting" in prison, to the times in our lives when we "feel like" we are waiting on God.  Her message really inspired me, and here is the link if you want to check it out: http://www.elevationchurch.org/sermons/waitingroom/part1 The bible account of this story can be found in Acts 16:22-36

A few great hints she pointed out that really hit home with me were:

- That Paul and Silas had been doing exactly what God had called them to and they were facing much persecution, pain and imprisonment.  Yet....while they waited for their release (to continue preaching the gospel, following the call on their lives) they didn't -Question God -Complain -Wish their time away. They simply prayed and praised God.  We know in the word it says that rejoicing, praying and being thankful in all things is ALWAYS his will for us. (1 Thess 5:16, 17, 18) 

While I am "waiting" for something to happen, I want to remember to be content with what is happening right now and be doing exactly what Jesus wants me to do, be thankful in all things and lift up a song of praise.  I always have a reason to praise.

-Also, as Paul and Silas were in the wait, they were being watched and listened to by all the people in there.  If they had been negative or discontent what kind of message would that have sent? You know that jailer could hear them.  Don't you think their response to opposition played a part in him believing their God was real and wanting to become a believer?  He must be some God when his followers are content, even singing songs of praise while being locked in the stocks after being severely beaten.  What a mighty God we serve, who alone can give that unexplainable joy.

- And lastly if they had been looking to escape and start living out their calling again, they would have missed the opportunity to physically save the life of the jailer, and then lead him and his whole family to salvation.  Sometimes I just need to slow down, not always look to what God has for me next, or what "I think" I should be doing, but instead focus on where does he have me now? Who does he want me to minister to and bless today? My husband, my kids, my family, our friends, the new moms in church, neighbors, our community.  Only you have your sphere of influence, look around and get to work right where you are at.  Because right where your at, is right where God has you, you are the only one He wants there.  Be thankful in all things, put on the garment of praise instead of the spirit of dispair (Isaiah 61:3) and fulfill the purpose He has for you today!!! 

2 comments:

  1. Prayed for you today as you wait. Life is full of "waiting" isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! So thankful for the prayers!! Blessed to have you in my life!!

      Delete

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment