Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Where is my SUPER SUIT?!


Take 50 seconds, watch my favorite clip from the Incredibles and I got a message for ya!


I seriously crack up EVERY TIME I watch this clip.  Ok anyways, I am gonna bring this back into our lives.  

So my question for you today is: Are you WEARING your super suit?  Or are you feeling like this guy, WHERE is my super suit, or maybe you are thinking WHAT is my super suit?  God has been stirring this in my heart and I wanted to share with you today that as a believer, you are not who you used to be.  It isn't you against the world any more, you aren't depraved and bound to the sinful nature, you have been clothed with Christ, you are now wearing the armor of light- your super suit.

The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. Romans 13:12

"For you are all children of God through faith in Christ Jesus.  For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ."  Galatians 3:26-27

"Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature." Romans 13:14

I have to point out in both the verses from Romans it says "put on" and "clothe yourself".  To me this says this is something we need to be proactive in.  We need to become aware of our new identity in Christ, we need to put on our SUPER SUIT, which is really JESUS.  We need to realize as believers we are clothed with Christ, we are IN HIM.  I have seen in my own life the more I truly believe that I am a new creature in Christ, that I have Jesus' robe of righteousness on me, I have victory against the enemy, the flesh, the world.  I think for a long time I have been focused on the do's and don'ts, when all the while I should have been focusing on who I am in Jesus, and I won't gratify the desires of my old nature, because that is just it, it is my OLD nature.  

For you have stripped off your old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds.  Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him." Col 3:9-10

In the past I have thought, as long as I act right, and follow the rules I will be holy and look good to God.  The problem is that is not good enough.  The word says "All of righteous acts are like filthy rags."Isaiah 64:6  In other words, even on our best days our "works" don't make us holy.  So how are we made holy?  "For God's will was for us to be made holy by the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ, once for all time." Hebrews 10:10  Did you catch that?  We are made holy by Jesus' sacrifice on the cross, once for all time, he has made us holy, and for that to be true you must believe He is your sacrifice.  We are now set apart because of what HE DID! Pressure is off of us, hallelujah!!

Now, I want to be clear, I think you should do good, follow the Spirit's leading (which will never contradict God's word) and not sin. But the motivation behind that should be "I act set apart, because that is in my nature to do so- you're born again righteous nature. I am holy, therefore I act that way."  Now that I know that sin nature has been stripped from me, I can act holy, because I am holy, not by my works, but by the blood of Jesus that washed me clean forever.  

So I wanted to encourage you today, realize you have a SUPER SUIT, a supernatural armor to protect you and fight with! (Read Ephesians 6:10-18) Now, put it on!!!  Realize your new identity in Christ.  This is who you are, you will STAND against the enemy with the full armor of God on you, you have a new nature, wear it, put on Jesus-do everything in His strength, and walk in victory!!!!

"Since you have heard about Jesus and have learned the truth that comes from him,  throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception.  Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes.  Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy.' Eph 4:21-24