Monday, February 4, 2013

Chicken Mushroom Chickpea Soup


How do you like that soup name?!  I don't know the actual name of this soup.  I had it once at my friend Laura's house, her mom made it, and EVERYTHING her mom makes is delicious, and everything Laura makes for that matter is. So, I LOVED this soup and I decided to recreate it from memory last week.  It turned out fabulous (but I am still convinced Laura's mom made it better), my husband did say, WOW this is REALLY good!  It is pretty healthy, quick throw together and different than your average soup.



Ingredients:
1 lb chicken, cooked, cut into cubes (I sautee mine in butter & grapeseed oil w/ salt & pepper)
3 Tablespoons of butter
1/2 onion, chopped
8 ounces button or baby bella mushrooms, sliced
2 cans chick peas, or Garbanzo beans
4 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
sprinkle of celery salt
salt & pepper to taste

Handful of Bok Choy leaves (this was my first time cooking with Bok Choy, you can also use spinach)

Sautee onions and mushrooms in butter until the onions are translucent.   Add the cooked chicken, chick peas, chicken broth & seasonings.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.  Add greens (bok choy or spinach, khale, whatever you decide on) just before serving, allow 4-5 minutes to wilt.  Serve with a side salad & crusty bread.  Enjoy!!