Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Be Still

Yesterday I let my emotions rule the day.  Bad idea.  I let everything bug me, I was easily frustrated, I was down in the dumps, felt overwhelmed, exhausted, beside myself.  I let every thing affect me and I was fixed on the negative.  It seemed like a storm was raging all around me, and I was just being crushed under the weight of it.  I asked "God, can you hear me?  I am so tired, I need a break!"  Ever been there?  I almost felt like I couldn't hear from God, couldn't feel his comfort, couldn't rest.  My friend Sarah's status yesterday got me thinking: "God's grace comes upon you when you rest and trust in Him."  Was I trusting, or was I worrying?  Was I resting or was I struggling?

I heard a sermon yesterday where the speaker said "Entering the rest of the Lord, isn't rest from the work, it is rest IN the work."  That is what I needed to be doing...but I was in this downward spiral, feeling low on faith and exhausted.

Today was a new day.  I am so thankful his mercies are new every morning. "Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning." Lamentations 3:23  He is faithful, always.  Praise Him!  I opened the word this morning to Psalm 46.  Now, David knows what I am talking about...I feel like I read the Psalms and think, This guy sounds like me, I could have written this!

God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
    and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
    and the mountains quake with their surging.[c]
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
    the holy place where the Most High dwells.
God is within her, she will not fall;
    God will help her at break of day.
Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
    he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
The Lord Almighty is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Come and see what the Lord has done,
    the desolations he has brought on the earth.
He makes wars cease
    to the ends of the earth.
He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
    he burns the shields[d] with fire.
He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”
The Lord Almighty is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress.

Psalm 46

Verse 10.  I was just fixed on it ALL day.  I kept saying it, and believing it.  He has whispered that phrase many times to me, but today "Be still and know that I am God" was just illuminated, it was jumping off the page.  It resonated down in my soul.  It calmed my fears.  It set me at rest, just knowing God.  He is God, He is my God.  I didn't worry, I didn't fret, I wasn't easily moved, I welcomed interruptions, I played with my kids, I got all my house work done, I prayed with and for friends, I laughed with my husband, I spent time in the word, I talked all day off and on with God, I had THE BEST DAY!  All to the glory of God.  And it all started with resting in Him, just BEING STILL, and KNOWING HE IS GOD!  

Do you know what Jesus said about knowing God?  "Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." John 17:3

I hope you know Him.  I hope you know He adores you personally.  I hope you know He has a plan for you.  I hope you know in Him there is perfect peace.  I encourage you tonight to BE STILL AND KNOW HE IS GOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment