Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Story Time and Picnics



With this gorgeous summer weather I am trying very hard to get out as much as possible.  Where we live winter lasts a LONG time, and this year my smallest child was just too little to be out in the cold.  It was a long winter filled with lots of movies and sitting around.  I hope to be more creative this year and look forward to the kids being older and able to spend more time out of doors.  Both of my kids love to be outside and also love to read, so why not combine the two?  We usually read before going down for nap time, "quiet time" or bed time.  Recently we have been throwing a blanket out under a shady tree and reading together.  It is LOVELY!  I definitely recommend doing this with your kiddos.  It is so simple, but they just love it, and it is a nice excuse to get more fresh air.

I just read my sister in law's post on picnics ( http://dearlylovedmist.blogspot.com/2011/06/picnics.html) and we have now added food to the mix. Picnics or snacks outside don't have to be elaborate, the whole idea is less to clean up and more time to have fun.  I made some gluten free toast, had Emma's tin tea pot filled with ice cold water, and juicy watermelon slices yesterday and we enjoyed the sights and smells of summer.  My husband got home early and we were excited to welcome him to our picnic story time.  It was really fun and just something different to do.  I would love to hear your ideas on creative things to do outside, I am always looking for something new to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment