Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Filipino Inspired Chicken Stir Fry

I want to start off by saying I have been completely blessed with 4 of the most amazing sister in laws.  I grew up with an older & younger brother and of course always wanted a sister.  God knew the desires of my heart and now I have the best sisters!!  I love them dearly and they each have a special place in my heart.  My "sister" Mari is from the Philippines.  We spent some time working in North Carolina a couple of years ago and she taught my mom and I how to make some Filipino dishes.  Spring rolls, Sho Mai Dumplings & Chicken Adobo.

This dish is inspired by the seasoning and techniques Mari taught me.  Of course I think every thing tastes better when she makes it (she is a fabulous cook-among many other things!), but this one did turn out VERY good!

Ingredients:

1 cup cooked chicken meat, coarsely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
1/3 head cabbage, shredded
1 cup carrots, shredded
1 cup fresh green beans, cut "french" style
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup soy sauce

Sautee the garlic & onions in the oil over medium heat until onions are translucent.  Add the chicken, carrots & green beans and broth cook for about 8 minutes until the beans begin to soften, but are still bright green and slightly crunchy, adding more oil if needed.  Last, add the cabbage and sautee for a few minutes (do not over cook) and add the soy sauce to taste.  I usually just sprinkle it in a little at a time till it tastes perfect.  Serve over rice (or rice noodles) immediately.  Enjoy !!

Tip:  Do all your cutting earlier in the day (like when the kids are napping), so dinner comes together fast.  Use Chicken that you cooked earlier too (like in the morning or from a previous day & have it already cooked and frozen.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment