Monday, July 25, 2011

Gluten Free Banana Pancakes


Ever since I heard the song "Banana Pancakes" by Jack Johnson I wanted to learn how to make my own, eat them, and "Pretend like it's the weekend...." LOL Anyways, I found a recipe that I LOVE, but since we are trying to do with out the gluten when we can I made them tonight without wheat flour.  They turned out wonderful!  I served them with fresh bananas, maple syrup & turkey sausage.  I like to throw pecans in the batter or sprinkle them on top, but my budget did not allow for "extras" like pecans this week, so no nuts for us. If you like banana bread you will LOVE these.  Let me know if you want the recipe for the original wheat version.  I think pancakes are fun to serve for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Also, I was at the library with the kids today (which was the first time I did this alone since I have had Emma). It did get a little stressful at the end when I got called up to the desk because my van door had been open the WHOLE time, ha!  Those automatic closing doors, I have more trouble with them!  Anyways, a book caught my eye: "Pancakes for Supper."  I totally picked it up, because I already knew we were doing pancakes for dinner, so I thought it would be fun for the kids.



Recipe:

1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
1/2 cup almond meal
1/4 cup arrow root powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 ripe banana, smashed
butter & maples syrup

optional: sliced bananas & pecans for serving

Pre-heat electric griddle to 310 degrees (that is the temp that works the best on mine).  This comes together very quickly.  Just mix all the ingredients in order in a bowl by hand, or with a mixer.  If you find the batter too thick add 1/4 more milk.  Pour 1/2 cup of batter per pancake onto the griddle.  Allow to set and start to form bubbles along the edge, flip and cook a few more minutes.  I like to put a small slab of butter between each pancake as I stack them up.  Serve warm ( I keep them in a toaster oven on low until ready to serve).   Makes 12- 15 pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment