Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Creamy Potato Gratin

Well we just returned from a very relaxing vacation to North Carolina.  I loved all the time spent with my family! Having my parents live out of town is hard at times, so I tried to soak up every moment I could with my mom.  Finally I am able to get back on here and post some yummy recipes and tell what we're up to.

A friend gave me this recipe with me a while back,saying how fabulous it was and I have been looking for an occasion to use it.  Thank you Melanie for sharing this yummy dish with me, it turned out AWESOME (as you said it would) and it was super easy.  I loved adding this delicious side dish to our yummy gluten-free Easter dinner spread.  (Well almost gluten-free menu, my sister-in-law Heidi brought a "normal" chocolate cake claiming "This is BYOG -bring your own gluten- house"  LOL she is a riot!)

This makes a 9x13 casserole pan.

Ingredients:
4 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/8 slices
5 cups heavy whipping cream (get at Costco, less than 6$ for a 1/2 gallon organic)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt kosher sea-salt (I love the REAL SALT brand- it has the best flavor, not all salts are the same!)
3/4 teaspoon pepper
Generous pinch of ground nutmeg
3 cloves of garlic, smashed
8 ounce block of Gruyère cheese, shredded (I used Trader Joe's Raw Gruyère- amazing!)

Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.  After peeling & slicing the potatoes, place in a large pan with the cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg & garlic cloves. Bring to a boil, gently stirring occasionally.  Remove garlic (if you can find them, I couldn't find mine LOL- or you can mince the garlic in the first place and leave in the dish.)After bringing it to a boil, pour mixture into a 9x13 pan.  Spread the grated cheese over the entire dish.  Place in the oven for about 40 minutes.  It is finished when it begins to brown on the top and on the edges you will see little puddles of yellow butter fat, remove once you see this.  Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes, this will allow the cream to "set".  Serve at room temp.  Enjoy!  (This dish is great re-heated the next day)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment