Monday, March 7, 2011

Chicken Curry in a Hurry

"She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar." Proverbs 31:14  I have been lead to read this verse through two different books I am reading right now.  It struck me in a new way than ever before.  After I read this recently I felt like, I really need to get creative with my meals and experiment with some dishes from other cultures.  I try to do at least one ethnic meal a week.  Chicken Curry seems to be both a Thai and Indian traditional dish, however curry always makes me think of India.

I have been making this recipe for a few years.  It was the first dish I ever tried seasoning with Curry (well except for one time I added Curry to a pumpkin pie by mistake- thinking it was pumpkin pie spice....don't know what I was thinking!  Surprisingly the pie turned out really good ha!)  This recipe is really simple and easy way to introduce a unique flavor to your table. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!




Ingredients: 

1 1/2 Tablespoons grapeseed oil, coconut oil or butter
1 small sweet onion, chopped
2 cups cooked chicken, chunked up
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 cup plain yogurt (substitute plain yogurt for dairy-free option)
3/4 cup heavy cream (substitute canned coconut milk for dairy-free option)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups cooked brown rice
14 ounce can diced tomatoes(optional)
1/4 cup fresh cillantro leaves, roughly chopped

Heat oil in large skillet, add the onion, cook until translucent, stirring occasionally.  Add the cooked chicken and the curry powder, stir and cook for a minute.  Add the yogurt and cream and simmer for 3 minutes.  Stir in the salt, pepper, and tomatoes (if using).  Remove from heat.  Put the warm rice on a plate, spoon curry mixture over the rice.  Sprinkle with cillantro.  ENJOY!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment