Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Yummo Gluten-free Macaroni & Cheese


My husband and I LOVE good food.  Before we go to a new city we research the best food spots, not so much what to see, but what to eat!  So I love having REALLY good food on our weekly menu, but my kids aren't always as excited about my exquisite dinner choices like Thai Express, which reminds me I really need to make that soon, cuz it's stinkin' good!!  So, I'm trying to ask the kids what they would like to eat once or twice a week to let them know "I care what you like."  This way we are eating new fun recipes, as well as timeless kid-friendly classics.

I adapted this macaroni & cheese recipe from Barefoot Contessa, Ina garden.  She swears white sharp cheddar & gruyere cheese make the best Mac n cheese.  I had to try for myself.  We are avoiding gluten for my daughter Emma right now, so this is completely gluten-free (GF).

Ingredients:

12 oz uncooked brown rice noodles, I love Trader Joe's 1.99 yeah, baby!
4 Tablespoons butter
4 Tablespoons GF flour, I used King Arthur's GF All purpose flour, worked fabulous!
2 cups whole milk
8 oz Sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded, 1/4 cup reserved for topping
8 oz Gruyere cheese, shredded 1/4 cup reserved for topping
1/2 teaspoon salt
Optional: Sliced tomato

Directions: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Cook noodles according to directions & drain. In a separate pot, melt butter, add flour & stir until bubbly for about a minute.  Slowly add milk & salt, whisk constantly until thickened, remove from heat.  Add cheeses & stir until melted.  Pour mixture over noodles & stir.  Sprinkle with reserved cheeses & sliced tomatoes if desired.  Put in oven for 20-30 minutes, I turned on the broiler at the end for a tad more browning. Enjoy!!

Oh my amazing! And you don't miss the gluten at, seriously!

Love shredding my cheese in a food processor, saves so much time!

Love using this when making gluten free rue's. 

The tomatoes were just the right touch, if that is your thing, of course I left them off the kids side.

ENJOY!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment