Monday, April 15, 2013

The Comparison Game



I wanted to share a quick thought and challenge with you.  I read this verse last week and I can't stop thinking about it:

Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won’t need to compare yourself to anyone else.  For we are each responsible for our own conduct.  Galatians 6:4-5

How easy is it to get sucked into the comparison game?  Have you ever asked yourself one of these questions or made a similar statement?

We work hard, why don't we have a house like them?

She is such a good writer, I wish I could write more like her!

How does she do it?  I could never raise that many kids!

I can not believe she did that, doesn't she know the bible says that is wrong?!

Why is she married, and I am not?

They are just so godly, I could never be as good as a Christian as them.

Well, I might have messed up a little, but at least I am not as bad as her.

My husband works as hard as that guy, why doesn't he get paid more?

Well I hope this person hears this sermon, they need to be listening.

Scrutinizing.  Discontentment.  Feeling inferior.  Feeling superior.  Pointing out faults in ourselves or other people is all a part of the comparison game.  A game we should not be playing.  The enemy wants us focused on ourselves or others, when all the while our eyes should be on Jesus.  See here it is: Either you are PERFECT or you need the Savior: Jesus.  We all need Him and we are only right with God by Him.  We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are. For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard. Yet God, with undeserved kindness, declares that we are righteous. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins.  Romans 3:22-24 NLT

When I read that Galatians 6 passage last week, I was set free.  I need to wake up everyday and do the task God has called me to.  I don't need to look at others and say "I could never do that...." God is up there saying, "Amber, I didn't call you to do that."  I want to challenge you to get before the Lord and ask him, what He has called you specifically to do.  Don't look to others and judge where they are failing, or feel lower on the totem pole because you are not doing what they are.  I have done both of those things, that is the only reason I can write about this, and I am here to tell you it brings you nothing but self-righteousness or self-pity.  Throw that junk away.  We are to love others and keep our eyes on Jesus.

So I challenge you, to stop playing the comparison game.