Tuesday, March 26, 2013

7 Tips when Struggling

Over the last few months I feel like I have had a target on my back.  It has been thing, after thing, after thing!  I have cried, day after day, my husband, poor guy, has been wondering what to say/do.  It has been interesting, let me tell you.  I am not usually like that, but when you have a mini storm everyday for a few months straight, it feels like you are out in the middle of an ocean, swimming as hard as you can, the waves raging all around and you can barely keep your head above water.  The perfect storm.... Ever been there?

A line from a song kept ringing through it all and reminding me that my anchor, my God, my Jesus was in it all and with me.  
When Darkness seems to hide His face
I rest on His unchanging Grace

In every high and stormy gale
My anchor holds within the veil
My anchor holds within the veil
Christ alone; cornerstone
Weak made strong; in the Saviour's love
Through the storm, He is Lord, Lord of all - Hillsong: Cornerstone

After an unrelenting assault like I have been going through, you feel worn out and not completely yourself.  I was snappy with the kids, my husband, tired, irritable, just not me.  Today I was sitting in my quiet time feeling bad for the way I had been acting, feeling like a bad mom, not a great friend, terrible house keeper, just a little like a failure.  We gettin' real on here tonight.  But God didn't bring all that up, He just listened, and comforted me, He is SO FULL OF LOVE!!  During alot of these struggles though, God has seemed quiet.  I read a quote this week:

“When you are going through a hard time and wondering where God is, remember the teacher is always quiet during the test.” -Unknown

So that is what is going on!  I don't feel like God is sending all these things to me to test me, but I do believe He allowed certain things to happen to me, and if I will let it train me, it will build my character, relate-ability to others and my faith.   I wanted to remind you in case your are going through something tough, that God would NEVER leave you.  He is with you through it all.  He has a great big plan that involves you.  And regardless of the circumstance you are not being punished by God, that is what happened to Jesus on the cross, punishment of our sins & the sins of the world.  Don't think He is mad at you, or has left you, or that you need to be worried or scared, don't let the storm determine your faith.  The word talks about a righteous person (one who is right with God), it says:  The righteous person may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all; Psalm 34:19  This righteous man is having troubles, this person who God is not mad at is having troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all!  

My friend Kim shared this verse with me: Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.  Joshua 1:9  Don't let these trials discourage you, trust that God is with you and is going to make this work for your good. (Rom 8:38)

You gotta remember, God is on your side.  He loves you!  And if we can turn our eyes from the overwhelming odds against us, to the one who has overcome them, Jesus, our Good Shepherd whom we can trust, we will experience His peace.  I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.  John 16:33

If you are feeling weary and weak remember this promise for your situation: Isaiah 40:29-31 He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their 
strength. They will soar on wings like eagles they will run and not grow weary they will walk and not be faint.  Amen?!  God will renew your strength dear one.  Hold on to the promises.

7 Tips for times of struggle.
*Be in the Word and Speak the Word.
*Every waking second, when you can, talk with God, pour out your heart to Him.
*Bring your struggles out in the open, tell a trusted friend (the devil wants you isolated and keeping your struggles in the dark)
*Ask trusted friends to pray for you earnestly
*It is ok to cry!!!
*Hold on to the promises of God, and trust that He is making a way!
*Sing Praise songs whenever you can.