Thursday, January 24, 2013

Making Dinner Work for YOU: Chicken




I love when I make one meal, and it sets me up for at least 2 other meals later in the week.  I try to do this a few times a month, it saves me time in the kitchen and I end up buying less ingredients.  So this week I bought a rotisserie chicken.  I say I bought, but actually my husband grocery shopped for me this week, TOTALLY AWESOME and I was so grateful!  Andrew you truly are the BEST!!!!  

Tuesday-Rotisserie Chicken
Thursday- White Chicken Chili
Saturday- Homemade Chicken Pot-pie

So on Tuesday I just heated the chicken back up, served baked sweet potatoes and cucumber salad with it. 

Today I pulled off some of the left over chicken and I will be reusing those pieces for chicken pot pie this weekend.  After I pulled off most of the meat, I threw the entire rotisserie in a big stock pot filled with 2 1/2 inches of water, I boiled it until the water reduced to about 1 inch, flipping once or twice.  I then removed the whole chicken and placed in a colander and then picked off the rest of the meat.  The 1 inch of water still in the pot was the perfect base and flavor starter for the soup tonight.  

This is my favorite and SUPER SIMPLE White Chicken Chili Recipe


Ingredients:

1/2 - 1 cup chicken, cooked, shredded 
2 cans (14 ounce each) white northern beans
3 Tablespoons dehydrated onions, or 1/2 fresh onion diced
3-4 cups of chicken broth (that is including the homemade stock I made from rotisserie)
1/2 can small green chiles (mild), find in the Mexican food section
1/2 teaspoon of cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
Salt and Pepper to taste

Add all ingredients to a stock pot, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.  Cook on low until reduced slightly and the flavors have blended.  I sometimes throw it all in a crock pot and cook it on low all day, just be sure to add extra broth.  Serve with mozzarella cheese and sour cream, warm crusty bread and a fresh salad.  Yum, yum, yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment