Sunday, October 28, 2012

Trader Joe's Mirepoix, Soup Starter Mix

This is another reason I love Trader Joe's.  Look for: Trader Joe's Mirepoix $2.99, a blend of chopped celery, onions and carrots.


I am all about saving money, but at the same time I am all about saving time, and let's face it as mom there is a fine line that divides those two.  Sometimes I splurge and buy the peeled baby carrots, other times I am feeling thrifty and buy the whole carrots then I have to factor the time in to peel and cut them.  I spied this mix in my friend's fridge last week and I thought brilliant!!  First of all we are not celery fans over here (except in soups) so this is the perfect choice for us, instead of buying a whole bag of celery that we never get to before it goes bad, I can just purchase this mix.  It is a great starter for most soups, including chicken noodle soup, vegetable beef soup, and the Italian Wedding Soup I made last week.  Throw contents of container in a stock pot with butter and saute till tender, add the broth and remaining ingredients for a quick, chop-free, start to a wonderful meal.  Also no tears from cutting onions!  Hallelujah to that! (Another idea: if you are a planner, but all the ingredients separately and make several batches of this.)  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment