Sunday, June 10, 2012

Soli Deo Gloria "Glory to God Alone" - Guest Post

 One of my favorite questions to ask people is "What has God been teaching you lately?"  Savories for the Soul is a page dedicated to sharing what God has been revealing to me and others who desire to know God and make Him and His loving, faithfulness known.

I encourage guests to share their own experiences and truths that God is showing to them.  If you would like to submit an entry of a devotional, revelation, or a scripture God has laid on your heart please send to seasontheday@gmail.com.  With your entry be sure to include a short bio, photo and link to your website (if you have one).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you ever met someone and thought, well I am not sure if her and I are going to get along?!  Then…..God does a work and you end up being best friends?  Aren’t you thankful that He knows more about what is best for us than we do?  This is a post written by one of my dearest friends, Kim.  She shares with us her experience of battling a dangerous illness, and how God used her to bring him glory.  Kim has always been a source of great encouragement to me, sending  me notes and verses that spoke right to my heart.  What a friend!  I know you will be blessed by reading her testimony because she has always been a blessing to me and all those she meets.  Kim is the author of My Random Thoughts blog.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Amber asked me to share with you about how God has worked in my life, and I have to say I am honored to be a guest blogger!

To start just a brief history of mine and Amber’s friendship. Amber and I grew up going to church together. We tolerated each other, but had some differences of opinions, but God changed that and suddenly we became best friends, spending lots of time together and enjoying each other dearly! Amber then moved to Michigan and I just knew our friendship wouldn’t be like it was that we would drift apart. Well, to my surprise it hasn’t!! Amber got married, I was blessed to be a part of the bridal party, and have been blessed to watch our friendship still grow and remain! I am thankful to Jesus for that, God is good!!

Now, to what I am going to share about. Even after spending 50 days in the hospital, receiving 12 units of blood, and 5 units of platelets I don't really see that time as a battle with cancer, I call it more of an experience, I suppose. I told my parents from the start of it all I wasn’t sick. Although there were times that I was. It was an amazing experience because God’s sovereign hands were all over the whole thing. I think it’s crazy to look back and see His hands all over it. 


                Kim during her "experience"

My pastor in one of his sermons, talking about the intricate details of life said this “What we need to realize is that there are no coincidences in life and fate has nothing to do with it. The Lord has His sovereign hand involved in every event that takes place in your life. It is not fate, but the Lord who orchestrates the circumstances and situations in this life.” One of those details was this: 2 months before I was diagnosed, I was planning to either purchase a new car or buy a house. I decided to buy the car, and just 2 months later, and 10 days after my 25th birthday, I was diagnosed with Burkitts- like-Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. By sharing this I am saying that it was much easier to take care of a car payment rather than a house and all the other bills that come along with that.

God taught me so much during those 4 months, I couldn’t share it all here, one of the big things He has shown me and continues to reveal is that God has used me in ways I can’t even imagine.  I hear people telling me how much of an encouragement I was/am to them and I just say it’s Jesus in me. I say that because I can’t do any of it on my own and if we try, we would just fail. Without Him leading the way it would be useless to even try to accomplish anything. I believe that I left Christ’s mark in every doctor’s office, hospital room, operating room and every place I’ve been in. God has just given me the strength to overcome whatever obstacles he has put in my path, and He does so that ultimately He will get the glory. He is always using different circumstances to bring us closer to Him. I recently had “Soli Deo Gloria” tattooed on my wrist, which means “Glory to God Alone”, and I simply want to live my life to His Glory, no matter what it is.
                                                                                                                         Kim Now 

 A few verses that helped me through those 4 months are Philippians 4:6-7 (ESV)6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

5 ½ years later and still Cancer Free, I at times still try to process everything.  God is continually showing me how Great of a God He is, and how He is in every detail of my life, now if I could just remember that!! I found this in a book and at times it describes my walk with God.  Girl meets God by Laura Winner “My life is like a disciples nap in Gethsemane: I have promised over and over to be vigilant for the things of God, to be awake to Him, but I see to spend much of my life sleep.”

Thank you for this chance Amber!
-Soli Deo Gloria Kim Beecham

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment