Thursday, August 4, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Salad



First of all I must say SORRY for the quality of the picture!  My camera battery was dead, so I had to use my husbands phone!  But I had to have a visual, Ha!

I had my first version of this salad at a Recipe Club that I am a part of.  It is really a neat idea, you pick a theme for the night, we were meeting every other month, and everyone attempts a new recipe and brings directions how to make each dish.  You bring enough copies for everyone.  It is so fun trying new things and tasting everyone else's creations.  We have done themes such as Barbecue, Salads, Comfort Food, Brunch, Italian.  It has been really fun, we are hoping to get it going again this Fall.

Anyways, a friend of mine Katie (thank you for the inspiration- Andrew is very thankful!), brought this one night and I instantly loved it.  My husband is a HUGE fan of buffalo chicken wings, so I knew this would be a hit in our house.  I hope you will take a chance and try a new kind of salad, you will LOVE it, if you like wings that is :)

Ingredients:
5 chicken legs (or 2 breasts) I like to use chicken legs b/c when buying Free Range Organic this seems to be the cheapest cut.
1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
1/3 cup butter, melted
Bag of mixed lettuce
1/2 cucumber, chopped (Or replace this with celery, I am just not a fan of it, but it goes great with the wing flavoring)
Handful of shredded carrots
1/2 red onion, sliced thin
Homemade blue cheese dressing (Ranch works here too)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place chicken in 8x8 pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Bake until cooked through & no pink remains (About 45 min- the meat starts pulling away from the bone). While the chicken is cooking, assemble the salad & make the dressing. Next, mix the melted butter & Frank's sauce.  Coat both sides of the chicken with the sauce, continue cooking for and additional 10 minutes.  Remove from oven.  De-bone the chicken or slice if using breast meat & place on salad.  Serve immediately!  Enjoy :)  Serves 4.  (FYI for the Kiddos I left one chicken leg without sauce on it, gave them little salads & cucumbers)  I also had fruit on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment