Thursday, July 7, 2011

Simply Toast and Fruit


I had never thought of toast and fruit as a meal before I was married, but now I EMBRACE toast & fruit.  I look forward to making this because it is SUPER easy, practically no clean up, quick prep and I almost always have all the ingredients on hand.  My husband's grand parents served us this one Sunday evening, it was not much but what they had on hand and it was delicious.  It has become a favorite of mine to make on Sunday nights because right about then I am just about running out of food.  Now that we are striving to do gluten-free meals I don't use bread as much, but I have recently started using Udi's & Rudi's gluten-free breads and they are soooo good.  This week I made our toast and fruit on Udi's bagels, it tasted wonderful, and I didn't even feel like I was eating something without gluten.  Another favorite around here is Ezekiel sprouted grain bread, I often have that here for my boys & daughter, very good with this meal too.  Trader Joes has their own version of this and I can pick it up for 2.99 at my store, they have Ezekiel bread for 3.99 best deal around.  Anyways I encourage you to try this if you are looking for a quick meal or trying to save money by not eating meat for every meal.


Ingredients:
*Bread, bagels, or english muffins
*Organic Jam ( I read in a magazine recently always eat organic jam if you can.  Think about how much pesticides those berries soak up, and then if you boil them down it just basically a whole lot of pesticides & sugar.  Try to find sugar free too.  Trader Joes also has a relatively inexpensive organic raspberry jam sweetened with grape juice that is AWESOME.  This week I grabbed the organic jam from costco, not sugar free though)
Nut butter: Peanut butter (valencia pb (trader joes has it for a steal) if possible so that the mold Aspergillus flavus - which commonly grows on peanuts isn't likely to have started growing on the nuts yet (these nuts are harvested when smaller)) *Almond butter (Costco has a great deal on this) *Sunflower seed butter *Cashew butter
*Honey
*Cream cheese
*Sliced cheese
*Fruit can be canned or fresh (  I try to keep something canned on hand at all times like applesauce or mandarin oranges in juice so I can always make this meal.)
*Organic butter


So you basically just toast 1-2 pieces of your bread per person (depending on how much every family member eats), butter them up as they come out of the toaster.  (Make cheese toast if you prefer.) Place on a plate and set out with all the toppings and let everyone make their own toast.  Don't forget to serve the fruit in a big bowl for every one to scoop themselves.  Easy dinner (breakfast or lunch too) for mom! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment