Saturday, July 9, 2011

Quinoa For Breakfast?


I use Quinoa in most dishes I would normally have rice with.  It has a very mild taste and the fact that it is a complete protein encourages me to incorporate it into more of my meals.  The hospital I had my youngest child, Emma at offered it on the menu for breakfast.  I thought, well that is different.  Since gluten-free oats are expensive I decided to make up quinoa last week as if it was oatmeal.  It turned out really good and I was surprised how long it held me over.  I usually want a snack mid-morning, but I lasted all the way to lunch without getting hungry, must be all that plant protein.  Give it a try sometime, something new!

Ingredients:

3/4 cup dry quinoa
1/2 banana, sliced (Optional)
1/2 cup organic whipping cream (Try coconut milk if you're dairy free)
2 Tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup
Toasted Pecans (optional)

Bring 1 1/2 cup water and the dry quinoa to boil in a pan.  Once boiling, reduce to a simmer on low and cover.  Pour cooked quinoa into a bowl top with banana and nuts.  Pour cream and syrup over quinoa and serve.  This serves one person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment