Thursday, July 14, 2011

Nutty Apple Berry Slaw

For some reason I want to start every blog post with "So, I did this or So, I tried this".  So (LOL), I have been pulling out magazine pages lately that focus on changing up your traditional side dishes.  I love to add change to our meals.  My husband almost became a chef, but I do most of the cooking, so I kinda feel like I need to keep things interesting...and hope I don't get a bad review.  :)  An article caught my eye last week as I thumbed through the stacks of magazines at our cabin.  "Fresh takes on coleslaw" from Midwest Living April 2011.  I do enjoy me some good "slaw".  I typically make a mayo based coleslaw, but the first variation I tried was tossed in a vinaigrette (so excited I spelled that right on the first attempt...Ha Ha spell check!).  I did change it a little, because as you know me, I started making it and didn't have the exact ingredients on hand, so substitute I did!  It was so light and fresh, tasted great with our summer meal, and I am excited to share this great recipe with ya!

Ingredients:
1/2 small head cabbage ( I used green, the original recipe used red- it looked very pleasing to the eye)
1 cup fresh spinach leaves
1 medium apple, thinly sliced (make sure it is crunchy)
1/8 cup sweet onion,  thinly sliced
1/2 cup dried mixed berries, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds (TJ's sells this for really cheap and it only has sunflower oil & salt)

Combine all the ingredients, toss in Honey Lemon vinaigrette.

Honey Lemon Vinaigrette

Ingredients:
1/3 cup grapeseed oil (olive oil would work, just be sure to smell & make sure it doesn't have scent)
3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons honey
1 1/2 teaspoons dijon style mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt

Whisk together in small bowl, pour over slaw mixture.   Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment