Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Gluten Free Strawberry Lemonade Icebox Pie


I saw this beautiful picture of a pie in Martha Stewart Living.  I knew I just had to make it, but could I do it gluten-free so it could be blog worthy?!  You know I did!  I am soo glad I tried something new!  I was making a meal for my dear friend Whitney, who just had her second beautiful baby, last night and I thought it would be the perfect occasion to make this delicious looking treat.  I made a little extra of the filling to be able to make 4 cupcake size portions for their family and to make a complete pie for us.  Also, in case you ever need to make just 4 cupcakes for a friend I saved my muffin container from my Udi's chocolate chip muffins (which by the way are SOOO good) and it was the perfect way to transport the little dessert.

Anyways the pie was as good as it looked!  Imagine lemon bars but more "custardy" topped with sweetened strawberries & dollops of fresh whipped cream, yum yum yum!  The original recipe calls for a meringue on the top, but I did organic whipped cream because it is faster and I just love it in general.  The original recipe also uses a graham cracker crust, I came up with my own gluten-free version of that for the cupcakes and used a pre-made gluten free crust from Whole Foods for the pie.  I will put the recipe for the cupcake crust in here too.



I HIGHLY suggest this dessert it is SO simple and it is different, nice and light for summer.  I am excited to add a dessert that doesn't include chocolate, because as you will notice all my other desserts have chocolate in them, I was starting to appear a little biased.  :)

Ingredients:

1 gluten-free pie crust, pre-baked

Filling:
One 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (fresh is important it makes a world of difference in recipes)
2 egg yolks, 1 egg whisked

Topping:
2 cups strawberries, thinly sliced
1/4 cup agave nectar (any sweetener will work)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Fresh whipped cream, sweetened with agave

For the filling whisk together the ingredients, pour into warm pie crust.  Bake in the oven at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes until the center is set (If you are making cupcake style they cook faster, check around 20 minutes).  Let cool to room temperature, cover, refrigerate over night.  Just before serving mix the strawberries, agave & lemon juice and let set for about 30 minutes.  Spread on chilled pie top with lots of whipped cream.  Enjoy!!



For the homemade graham cracker style crust I used Annie's gluten free ginger snaps.

Gluten Free Ginger Snap Crust Recipe:
1 3/4 cups of Annie's gluten free ginger snap cookies, finely crushed (through a food processor or by hand)
6 Tablespoons of butter, melted
1/4 cup raw sugar
sprinkle of salt

Mix all ingredients together, press into pie pan (or cupcake cups if using).  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  Remove from oven & add filling.  Cook according to directions above.  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment