Saturday, July 16, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Whoopie Pie Sundae


We had some wonderful friends over this week for dessert, it is always great catching up!  My friend Haley runs her own baking business with another friend of mine, Dana.  (Check out the delicious treats that TRUFFLES concocts, they do have gluten-free options and yes they ship!)  So as you can imagine coming up with a tasty dessert to impress the pro was a little challenging.  The first time I tried this whoopie pie was a few years ago, thanks Sarah for the inspiration!  (You are such a good baker and a wonderful wife to be making such treats for your hubby on a regular basis, I admire you! )

It turned out very tasty indeed!  Her post on my facebook page was "The dessert was AMAZING".  I was so thankful to hear her positive words, it was my first attempt at whoopie pies and you always wonder when it's a new recipe?!  I seem to always try new things out when entertaining, sorry to all my friends for being a part of my foodie experiments.  LOL!  Haley also told me of a whoopie pie making party she had attended before, sounds like so much fun.  I can definitely see that in my future :)

I made 2 kinds of whoopie pies, one with a regular store bought cake mix, and one gluten free version.  You can google cake mix whoopie pies if you are interested in that.  Just before serving I topped them with vanilla ice cream and homemade hot fudge.  Yumo!  And yet another addition to my dessert recipes that is chocolate peanut butter goodness! The  Original Whoopie Pie Recipe.


If you would like to make the pies from scratch and you are not interested in gluten free, use regular flour, minus the arrow root powder and increase the milk to 1 cup.
Ingredients:


1 3/4 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 Cup arrow root powder
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
3/4 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Just mix everything in a stand mixer. The batter is a little runny.  Add two tablespoons of batter to parchment lined cookie sheets, 3 per row 2-3 inches apart.  Bake at 375 degrees for about 12 minutes till an inserted toothpick comes out clean.  Allow to cool completely.  Spread 2 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter cream between 2 pies.  Top with ice cream & Homemade Hot Fudge. Makes about 15 pies

Peanut Butter Buttercream :  1 1/3 cup natural, creamy peanut butter, 2 sticks (16 T) butter, softened, 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, pinch of salt  Blend in stand mixer, if too thick add a few teaspoons of milk.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment