Sunday, April 3, 2011

Meatballs with Maple Barbecue Sauce


Meatballs are a great way to use ground beef.  I try to use free-range, grass fed beef, and ground seems to be the cheapest way to get it.  I am always looking for different recipes that use ground beef.  I find there is a lot you can do with meatballs.  I usually will make a double or triple batch at once, cook them up earlier in the day and freeze whatever we are not going to eat that night.  I thaw them and pair with spaghetti, I can break them up and use them for taco meat or in a shepherds pie, or keep them whole and cook them in a tasty bbq or white sauce.  Today I made extra and invited family over for lunch.

Meatball Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs of ground beef
1/3 medium sized onion, diced small
2 medium sized cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 eggs

Mix together in a bowl until thoroughly combined.  I usually use my hands.  Shape into balls place on baking sheet.  Bake at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until starting to turn dark brown on the tops.

Barbecue Sauce Ingredients:

3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 maple syrup
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

Put all ingredients in a sauce pan, bring to a boil, stirring constantly, reduce to low & simmer until ready to serve.

You can place the finished meatballs in the pot with the sauce to coat, or simply serve the sauce on the side or over the top of them. Serves 5-6 people ( I consider this a double batch for our family) Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment