Thursday, March 17, 2011

Grilled Salmon with Lemon Cilantro Sauce



I have not always eaten fish.  In fact, I only ate chicken or turkey as my protein from 6th grade till I started dating Andrew, my husband.  He informed me "any wife of his better eat meat" (he is VERY blunt), so I thought I better change my ways, ha!  Beef was the first thing to come back, bacon here and there, and lastly fish.  I do not think  I would have tried it, but a former employer of mine was having us over for dinner and she said "Ok we can either have pork tenderloin, or salmon."  I thought "No!!!!! I don't like either!!", but I said "Ummmmm......." She could tell I wasn't wild about either, but after she heard that I had never eaten salmon, she said oh you have try it. To my dismay they cooked it up that night, and I felt rude not trying the sesame-ginger filet.  I took one bite and was like, What have I been missing?!  It was AWESOME!!!  I couldn't believe it, hello fish!!

I started trying different kinds of fish here and there, I feel like I almost had to aquire a taste for other types, but after you take that first bite it only gets easier & the health benefits were another motivation for me.  Salmon has more DHA plus EPA omega-3 fatty acids than almost any other seafood, as well as some of the lowest mercury levels.  I try to eat this and other fish a few times a week, because it is cheap and really good for you!  So if you aren't a fish person, just give it a try, it is like I tell my 3 year old, you don't have to eat it all if you don't like it, but you need to give it a try to see if you do.  You will never know if you like something if you don't ever taste it-BE BRAVE!!

It was nice to finally open up the grill after it's hibernation all winter.  I've missed the smoky flavor it adds to our meals.  Yesterday was the perfect day to fire it up.  The guys were out washing the truck in the warm sunshine, which we have been so desperately missing, while I worked on dinner as Emma played on the floor.

I marinated the salmon for about an hour, flipping once (not necessary if you don't have the time- just coat with grapeseed oil and season with salt and pepper), grilled them up and topped with the yummy sauce.  I got the idea for the sauce, from my sister in law Juliet.  Her and her husband are always coming up with fun dishes.  I actually tried calling her when I made this, but couldn't reach her her.  I thought I guess I will just wing it, and it turned out really good.

Ingredients:
1 lb Salmon (I get my Wild Caught Salmon from Aldi 3.59-3.99 lb- best deal I've ever seen!)

Marinate filet(s) in:
1/4 cup White vinegar
1/4 cup Grapeseed oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Sauce:
1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (or from a bottle)
1 Handful of cilantro, minced
2 Tablespoons sweet red onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons agave (or honey, or other preferred sweetener)
1/4 teaspoon of salt

Place salmon on the grill, cook 3 minutes on each side (or until flaky- do not overcook!) at 350 degrees.

Remove & serve immediately.  Spoon Lemon-Cilantro sauce over top.  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment