Friday, December 26, 2014

Best Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup



I actually made this version of Chicken noodle soup quite by accident. I was making soup for a friend and as I'm 1/2 into the cooking process I realize I bought 1 carton of chicken stock & 1 beef broth, instead if 2 chicken stocks!  As any mom of young kids can guess, I was not about to pack all 3 kiddos up and run to the store for 1 ingredient- AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR DAT.  So I kept on cooking, substituting the mistaken broth and hoping it was going to turn out ok...especially since it was for someone else's family!! Well, it miraculously turned out awesome and now it's the only version I'm making, the beef broth adds just the right flavor.

Also I have come to discover, any great soup starts with onions sautéed in butter, makes a HUGE difference. I'm just Sayin' :)

Ingredients:

2-3 boneless chicken thighs
1/2 cup carrots, peeled, sliced
1/2 cup onions, diced
1/2 cup celery
4 tablespoons butter
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups beef broth 
1/4 teaspoon salt (you may want to add more, depending on what your family likes)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1 bay leaf
6-8 ounces dried pasta of choice (I just tried Yoder's Amish Egg Noodles, AMAZING!)



Directions:

Sauté the onions, celery & carrots in the butter until they are soft.  Once cooked, add the raw chicken thighs and lightly brown them in the veggies & butter, (using more butter if needed) then add the broth, and the rest of the seasonings (including bay leaf).  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.  Simmer until chicken is thoroughly cooked (I do about half an hour.) Remove chicken & shred or dice, return to pan. Add the noodles and simmer until tender. (About 10-15 minutes.) Cook on low until ready to serve, the longer it simmers, the more the flavor meld together.  

Get ready for a party in your mouth! Great ending to a chilly day. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment