Sunday, June 24, 2012

YOUR voice be louder


This story all started with this bike!

In the past couple of weeks I have been hearing from different sources that we should wait on God, before we move, before we react, before we speak.  I am quick to speak (anyone who knows me, knows that!)  Sometimes when I don't take the time to ask God what He says, I just respond with what "I say", with what "I think" and I don't want that to be the case anymore.  I have decided, it doesn't matter what I think, the only opinion that matters, is His.  He always knows the right answer, he always knows what to do, He is wisdom, Jesus literally is our wisdom (1 Cor. 1:30)

This is one of the verses that I came across last week:  "I will stand at my watch and station myself on the ramparts; I will look to see what he will say to me..."  Hab 2:1a  I want to wait in expectation of His voice, His direction.  So last week I was praying "Lord, please be louder to me today than any other voice or influence in my life.  I pray that you speak to me and that I can hear you, without a doubt.  Guide my steps, give me words.  What you say, I am really going to try to do." I heard this song for the first time today, and it was so in line with my prayer, I was floored.  Full Attention (click the green link to listen, you will be encouraged!)- Jeremy Riddle.  As soon as I said my prayer, actually while I was praying for His voice to be loud, He told me something to do.


A few months ago we sold Drew's toddler bike on craigslist.  A young couple with 2 little boys picked it up. I remember meeting them and thinking, oh I wish they lived closer I would have her over for a play-date!  I let it go, but God kept putting her in my thoughts, so I would pray for her whenever she was on my mind.  


Last week, when I prayed that God's voice would be loud, and that when the Spirit led I would follow his directing, He told me to call "that girl I sold the bike to" and tell her about Him.  WOW!  Well that is a little out of my comfort zone, but I can't lie to God, and I told Him I would try to do whatever it was He was saying.  I prayed about it all day and hoped that her number was still in my caller ID!!  In the midst of the waiting and praying He had me doing all sorts of things that were uncharacteristic of me, but not of Him, it was exciting walking in step with His Spirit.


So the moment came to call "the girl".  I keep referring to her as "the girl" because I could not remember her name.  I had asked all day what am I going to say to her God?!  He always replied the same verse "Open wide your mouth and I will fill it"  (Psalm 81:10b)  So I had nothing planned to say and figured as I spoke He would give me the words.  There is nothing like waiting for Him and expecting Him to show up.  When you step out in faith it really gives God a chance to show how faithful he really is.


The phone rang.......  And secretly I hoped she wouldn't answer so I could leave her a message and if He had me saying something that was really out there, at least I wouldn't have to hear her reaction.


Well....She answered!  Now what God?!  And it started to flow.  "Hi, are you the one who bought the toddler bike from me a few months ago?"  She said: "Yes is this Amber?  I actually saved your number in my phone!"  I couldn't believe it!  


We talked for a few minutes, I re-learned her name, it is "Ali" by the way and then the Holy Spirit told me to tell her the truth, well here it goes "So, this might sound a little weird, but God has been putting you on my heart ever since I met you, and He has me praying for you all the time.  I don't know if you know Him, but I just feel like He wanted me to call and tell you that He loves you and wants a relationship with you."  Moment of truth....was I going to be hung up on?  Was she going to be mad?  What was going to happen?


She replied with something totally unexpected "Well, you have actually been on my mind too!  I was wishing we lived closer so we could get together, I had thought about calling you.  There was something about you when we met.  I could tell you had something, and I thought whatever it is, I want it."  Praise the Lord!!  He really was telling me to call her!  We set up a time to get together, and they actually came over last night.


Their family joined our family for dinner, the kids played in the back yard all evening and we talked about life, our faith, kids, everything!  We had so much in common!! After they left I told Andrew "That was really awesome!  It is so cool to see how God is pursuing them, the people He loves."  It was such a lovely night and honestly would have never happened if I hadn't listened to God's voice, and acted on what He said.  My pastor said last night, "We don't even know how much we are missing out on, when we don't follow God fully."  Sometimes we don't do what He is nudging us to do, because of fear of the unknown, rejection, possible conflict, out of our comfort zone, or it is not our "gift".  But the truth is we might be weak in a lot of areas, but God is strong in all of them!  If He is leading, He will guide and empower you, as you lean on His strength.  I love the amplified version of Philippians 4:13 "I have strength for all things in Christ who empowers me [Iam ready for anything and equal to anything through Him who [a]infuses inner strength into me; I am [self-sufficient in Christ's sufficiency]."

So I want to encourage you tonight with a quote from THE WELL, by Mark Hall "All we need to do to grow closer to God, the primary way we decide to decrease so he can increase is simply to do the very next thing He says."  Ask Him what He wants you to do, wait for it, and when the nudge comes, do it.  Now, it very well could be uncomfortable, but He is right there with you, leading you, giving you strength and enabling you to do it all.  And you will see the glory of God!!  I am excited to hear your stories!  And I pray His voice be louder than all the others in your life!  






1 comment:

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment