Monday, April 16, 2012

Greens in Spring

I really enjoy gardening.  Every year I try a new crop and see how it does.  Last year my best crops were tomatoes and green beans.  I have tried lettuce the last three years, but it never does well in the summer.  I have decided that this year I am actually going to plant lettuce when the package says to plant lettuce, in the spring (or fall).  I planted "Amsterdam Prickly Seeded SPINACH" and "Rouge d'Hiver Lettuce".  These are both heirloom seeds, the lettuce dates back to at least the late 1800's and the spinach was actually grown in Thomas Jefferson's garden!!  I purchased my seeds last year from: rareseeds.com, from a company called: Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.  I was HIGHLY satisfied with my order from this company, the seeds they offer are heirloom, organic, natural and non-gmo.  The prices are fabulous, shipping is cheap, and a young christian family own and run it.

So anyways, I am hoping these do better for me than my lettuce & spinach in the past.  When we had our warm spell back in March I planted the seeds.





Of course my "Acts of Service" (Check out the Five Love Languages) little boy had to help!!  Best helper EVER!!


LETTUCE

Today we found these growing!  A special "Thank You" to my neighbor Sunny who watered and took care of  our little sprouts while we were on vacation.


SPINACH

1 comment:

  1. Look at that! Cool! Nice shirt Drewbie. On Sat. all three of our boys were wearing their t-shirts from Gi Gi. :)

    ReplyDelete

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment