Thursday, September 29, 2011

Amazing Apple Crisp!

It is that time of year again.  Fall!  Cider mills, donuts, fresh crisp apples, cool mornings, pumpkins.... My favorite season!  We visited my favorite mill this past weekend and enjoyed spending time exploring the grounds with our family, taking in all the beauty of the orchard and of course eating some wonderful goodies!  When we got back to the cabin we finished the wonderful day with a perfect Autumn dessert.




I visited a friends house last week and enjoyed hot coffee and the best apple crisp I have had in a long time, thank you Holly for the inspiration!!  I HAD to make it for my family!  I did change it up a little bit because my mother in law is strictly gluten-free.  So I included the original recipe and then my GF altered version.  AMAZING!




Ingredients:
8 Small apples, peeled, sliced
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon

Crumb topping:
 1 cup of Pamela's Ultimate Baking & Pancake Mix ( You can pretty much substitute this for flour in most recipes)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup gluten free oats
1 stick (1/2 cup) cold butter, diced
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees.  Layer apples in 9x13 pan, sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon.   Next make the crumb topping by putting all the ingredients, except pecans into a bowl.  Using your hands squeeze the mixture over and over until it becomes crumbly, starts sticking together and resembles coarse meal.  Last toss in the pecans.  Sprinkle the mixture over the apples.  Bake uncovered in the oven for 1 hour.  Or until starting to lightly brown on top.  Soooooo good!  Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment