Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Bacon Mac & Cheese


After being milk & cheese free for 8 months, I am finally eating all dairy again.  While nursing I could have raw milk, it did not affect my sweet Emma, but if it was pasturized she was in sooo much pain & spit up constantly.  I had to revamp our family's eating habits.  We did get used to having less dairy around the house, but I really missed mac n cheese & pizza.  So this was the first mac-n-cheese meal I've created since Emma has been born, and the boys and I really enjoyed it!  Bonus: I added steamed, pureed acorn squash (light yellow in color) to the cheese mixture, the guys had no idea!  I told them afterwards, and they were really surprised....anyway to sneak in extra veggies un-noticed is a plus :)

Ingredients:
1 lb Brown rice pasta (I get from Trader Joes)
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons gluten free flour (I used Red Mill brand)
2 cups milk
3/4 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 lb gruyere cheese, shredded
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups squash steamed & pureed (I used acorn)
Entire package of beef bacon, cooked & chopped

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Boil water & cook pasta according to instructions, drain.  Melt butter
in a large pan, whisk in flour, stir constantly on high heat for 1 minute (it should be bubbling), reduce to medium-high temp.  Slowly add milk, stir until thickened and bubbly.  Add the cheeses, reserving a 1/2 cup cheddar, and salt, mix until melted.  Last stir in the squash & cooked noodles.  Pour into a greased 9x13 pan, sprinkle the bacon & remaining cheddar over the whole dish.  Bake for 15 minutes or until starting to brown slightly.  Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn, Leave a Comment